Sunday, September 21, 2008

Spider Part 5

In the past few weeks, my kitchen window spider has been industrious. While I was away at a writing class for three days, she laid a third egg case. A few days later, her first egg case hatched. Tiny little fuzzy creatures slowly spread away from their silky home. Eventually she laid a fourth egg case, and today I noticed that the spiderlings in her second case have emerged. Several insects are hanging in the window, lifeless, wings falling off, skeletons dangling. The whole scene is beginning to gross me out, but I am reluctant to clean it up. I am genuinely curious about "my" spider, her life cycle and the snippet of nature I am privileged to observe every day.  How often have I seen spider egg cases and wondered about them?  It is fascinating to get to watch in person.

No comments: