Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Outdoor Play

Gabriel the bird

One of the many blogs I follow is that of the Children and Nature Network, founded by Richard Louv and others. Louv is the author of Last Child in the Woods, a book about the effects of children in our modern society being separated from nature. He recently spoke for the American Academy of Pediatrics national convention, and I found his remarks very interesting. Even though he was speaking to health care providers, in the end it is the parents' responsibility to make sure their kids are getting enough time outside. Reading his speech helped remind me of one of the things I really want to do for and with my children. I know that I need time outdoors as much as they do, yet it has seemed so difficult this year to make those times happen on a consistent basis. I decided to do my best to make time each day to get outside for a little bit each day.

Today my kids showed me the joys of just being outside. I worked on the weeding, but they created elaborate games with their stuffed birds outside in the trees and grass. They built nests for the birds, had them fly around making noises, and flew around themselves, squawking and flapping their skinny arms as wings.
Birds in a Nest


Bird on a Tree

Our cat Emma looked on with one of those faces only a cat can get away with.

We enjoyed the autumn sunlight and came back inside, refreshed and ready to get on with our chores. I'm so glad I got us out today, and I really want this to be more regular this fall.

1 comment:

6512 and growing said...

Fun to see what games your kids came up with given a few stuffed birds and your backyard. Love how creative kids can be when given space and freedom outdoors.