Monday, September 21, 2009

Evolution vs. Creation, Seven-year-old Style

Today I had the honor of discussing evolution vs. creation with Gabriel. He asked about why the dinosaurs aren't in the Bible, and why it doesn't talk about us evolving from fish. How in the world do I explain these concepts to him? I don't mind him questioning our faith; I know the probing will come. I just expected these issues to come up in the teen years, I guess. How do I explain my view of how evolutionary theories fit in with my faith and belief in the Bible? Over the years I have come to a comfortable understanding with myself about these topics, but trying to distill such concepts to a seven-year-old, who hasn't even studied basic genetics, was tricky. I really wish Aaron had been home for dinner to back me up on that one. I don't even know where to begin. I hope the answers I gave him hold him off for a bit until I figure this one out. Boy, this kid sure knows how to keep me on my toes!

No comments: