Friday, April 2, 2010

Gabriel's Student Showcase

Gabriel has been taking an amazing art class at our local Homeschool Resource Center. It is feeding his need for learning more about art than I can give him at home. In addition, he usually comes home from the library with books about art and drawing that he reads and learns from at his own pace. I have seen his drawing skills take huge leaps forward in the past few months as he has had the time and inspiration to work on his techniques. Our HRC had a Student Showcase in March, where students could enter art of many different varieties, from traditional pieces to performance art. There were many drawings and paintings of course, but also duct tape fashions, Irish dancing demonstrations, and even a computer game that some friends of ours designed. I was so proud of my son for putting his work out there for the public to see. He chose two of his hand-built pottery items from his Free Form Art class, a needle-felted dragon he made at home, two pencil sketches he completed, and one or two watercolor paintings. It made this sentimental mother's heart swell to see my baby's work displayed for all to see. He was a little disappointed that his art didn't get chosen to go to the Edmonds Art Festival later this spring. I have to confess a part of me was disappointed, too. But we talked about how the important thing was that he loved making art, and he was improving so much lately, and how great it was that he would take the risk and enter his work in the first place. The little guy takes himself so seriously (I'm sure he got that from me - poor kid!). Anyway, I hope you'll indulge me as I show off my son's work from the night of the show.

The needle-felted dragon he made - so sweet! It got a lot of comments.

Gabriel's two clay pieces are in the center - a green and blue pitcher and an orange "Sculpture."
The artist himself in front of two of his pencil sketches - top and bottom left.

No comments: