Friday, April 30, 2010

Peace and Fighting



Well, OK, this is a corny title, but I was trying to tie together our day in a witty way. Friday is Field Trip Day, so we took a little outing to the Bellevue Botanical Garden to complement our study of plants. The gardens are really blooming nicely, and make a wonderful walk for little ones.

So many plants are in bloom; we enjoyed viewing different kinds of flowers, and even recognized some that are favorites of ours.


Gabriel especially liked the Japanese Garden section. There is a little stream with some large, flat boulders you can walk on, and flowers blooming in between. It was magical for him, and magical for this Mama to see my child excited about garden design.

The air was cool, with grey clouds floating over occasionally. This park still has some sounds of the freeway, but the large trees and lush undergrowth give a calmness to the mind.

I am grateful we have places like this to go, and grateful we have time to take care of ourselves in this way. Both my kids have been yearning to go hiking, and this Mama is also missing the wilderness. When we can't make it out for a real hike, it is important to be able to get our nature fix in other ways. Everyone was more relaxed and pleasant this afternoon and evening, and the bickering was almost gone.


We ended the day with the Belt Ceremony for Gabriel's Martial Arts class. All the little kids were up on stage for a demonstration of a defensive technique. I was so proud of my little guy. His form has improved in the past few months, and he did really well. It was fun to see the older kids, too, and what Gabriel has to look forward to if he keeps up with the classes.


I also have to brag just a teeny bit about my latest canning adventure - I made rhubarb-orange preserves from the produce we get in our produce box. It is so yummy - but for all the time I spent in the kitchen, I only came out with 2 jars. Everyone is under orders that they must savor this jam - or else!


No comments: